A life might depend on you is a national education program for the population regarding the significance of the correct use of the emergency service and carrying out first aid maneuvers until the arrival of the ambulance.
The problem identified
According to the Special Telecommunication Service in the first half of 2011, 3 out of 4 calls made to 112 were false emergencies or bad jokes. At the same time 60% of all the real calls solicited the ambulance, hence the importance of knowing the first aid maneuvers that have to be performed until the arrival of the medical team. Heart diseases, traffic accidents, traumas caused by violence and conflicts, will become until 2020, the most important causes of death worldwide. Now cardiac arrest affects annually almost 70,000 people, being the first cause of death in Europe (EuroStat).
The studies showed that a proper and quick resuscitation until the arrival of the ambulance significantly increases the victim’s chances of survival.
- Organizing media information and education campaigns for the population regarding the proper way of calling the number 112 and raising awareness about the negative effects of the misuse of this emergency number.
- Organizing media information and education campaigns for the population regarding the significance of providing proper first aid until the arrival of the ambulance.
- Organizing, at national level, free first aid courses with a strong practical character
- We have prepared over 15.653 people to provide first aid.
- We have organized 625 free first aid courses in 28 cities at the national level.
- More than 3,8 million Romanians have found out about the significance of providing first aid and the proper way of calling the emergency number 112 from our media campaigns.
“I am writing to thank you from the bottom of my heart for the first aid training! I think it was the most useful and interesting training I have ever participated to, that gave me the confidence that I know how to help a person in an emergency situation. It feels to me like the most beautiful thing, especially that I feel I am more aware of the people around me.” – Alice S., participant in the first aid course “A life might depend on you”.
“Thank you for an interesting, dynamic, pleasant and very useful course!… The trainers were OK, very confident when performing the maneuvers, (how else? ), competent, with a sense of humor. It was a pleasant learning experience, they supervised and explained clearly and carefully the practical aspects…a grade A from me! I also liked the course materials (that is Charlie and the other mannequin), very useful in their realism.” – Adrian C., participant in the first aid course “A life might depend on you”.